In the olden and medieval ages, there were 3 names given to Vraj
- Sursen Desh
- Mathura Mandal
1) Sursen Desh : Sursen belonged to the Yadav lineage from the Chandravansh dynasty. Raja Sursen was the father of vasudevji. It was after him, that the land came to be known as sursen dash.
There was one more reason for the land to be known as sursen desh Today the land which is known as mahura was surrounded by large forest. This Forest was ruled by a demon named madhu . Due to which , this area again known as Madhuvan. This demon Madhu had pleased Mahadevji , who in turn had granted him a shool ( part of Trishul) which was divine weapon. Mahadevji Had Granted Him a boon , that till the time the demon and his son had the possession of the weapon, then no one could harm or kill them.
At this time of his death , Madhu advised his son, Lavansur
That till the time he did not harass- the god and the Brahmins, till then Mahadevji would be pleased on him.
But lavansur was very cruel and merciless. He wobbled the Rishis and the Brahmins and dish bed-their “ Yagna”. There troubled souls requested Shri Ramchandraji who had just returned from Lanka to Ayodhya, to help them.
Ramchandraji sent his younger brother Shatrugan, to kill Lavanashur.
Shatraghan caught lavanasur as son as stood at the entrance of the house, Due to which , Lavanasur would not go inside and retrieve the weapon of Mahadevji, Shatragun then fought with Him and Killed him. The god were very pleased on the rave Shatrughan, and hold him to as for a boon, Shatrughan asked the gods to make the people of that land brave, and make them fight against injustice and for faith . Shri Ramchandraji asked Shatrughan to rule that Land. Thus Shatrughan setup Mahadevpuri, due to the boonof given by the gods, the people of the land were very brave.
( shurveer) , thus this land became well known as shur sen desh.
(2) Mathura Mandal – During the vedic Period this land became known as Mathura Puri. It was known as Mathura puri. It was known s Madhu Puri after Madhu demon.. It was also known as Mathura .This Land of Matura was spread over 84 kos. Thus from Mathura Puri, this land also came to known as Mathural Mandal.
- Vraj – Shri Krishna’s cows were once stolen by Lord Brahma, Shri Krishna produced similar cows from his own body to replace his stolen cows. These cows used to graze within the boudry of mathura mandal.Vraj is where the cows of Shri Krishna graze, there for this area came to be known as vraj. This is the reason, we take the dust and consider the Nathuwas Gaushala holy, because the lord himself resides there, due to the land of Vraj itself.
Vraj is the Lila territory of Shri Krishna, It is this Land of Vraj, that the lord appeared in the form of Shri Krishna. He lived in this land for 11 years and 52days ad for 14 years he lived in Mathura. It is on this Vraj Bhoomi, that he performed the vraj leela and mathura leela. Its been thousand of years, but u can still experience and feel shri Krishna and his leelas in this land. It is for this reason that vraj has become a piligrim for the devotees of shri Krishna. Every Year, thousand of vaishnavs of the vaishnav sect take up the 84 kos vraj yatra.-
Shri yamunaji flows thought the middle of vraj. On the banks of Shri Yamunaji, there are 12 vans and 24 upvans. All these pur together from the vraj bhoomi.
- Kumudvan- next to ucha village.
- Bahulavan – close to kumudvan.
- Kamvan – in Bharat Pur District, 36 mile from Mathura.
- Belvan – close Jahangir pur village.
10) Lohvan – 3 hours from Mathura.
11) Mahavan – Next to Gokul.
12) Vrindavan – 18 kms from Mathura.
24 - Upvans
1) Gokul . 2) Govardhan 3) Barsana 4) Nandgao 5) Sanket 6) Pramdana 7) Ading 8 ) Sheshsai 9) Uncho gao 10) Belgao 11) shri kund 12) Gandhurb van 13) Parasoli 14) Bilchuvan 15) Bachchvan 16) AAdi Badri 17) Karhala 18) Anjana ukhar 19) Piyara 20) Kokila van 21)Dadhi Gao 22) kot van 23) Raval 24)